Eco Drama are delighted to announce that our latest theatre production, The Whirlybird, will commence its second major tour in early 2020, performing in schools, nurseries, theatres and community venues across Scotland and England in a 48 date tour spanning January – April 2020. The production will visit venues across the UK including Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness, St Andrews and Manchester, touring in an eco friendly van run on recycled waste cooking oil, helping Eco Drama to reduce its touring emissions by 85%. Please see below for the 2020 tour dates and how to book at a venue near you!
“A delightful show… slips from hilarity to pathos with ease, and keeps the children transfixed.”
Lorna Irvine, The List
In a cosy nest, two birds look skyward and get ready for their maiden flight. While flying comes easy for Bird, Whirlybird just can’t get the hang of it. After many failed attempts, inspiration is found in a very special flying seed…
The Whirlybird is a funny, playful and moving piece of visual theatre about learning to fly, encouraging one another and finding joy and inspiration in nature.
With a beautiful music score by award-winning composer Greg Sinclair and set and costume by Claire Halleran, The Whirlybird draws inspiration from the natural world to celebrate diversity and uniqueness and the wonder of flight.
The production was developed in collaboration with Platform Arts Centre and children at Buchlyvie Nursery in Glasgow, with support from Creative Scotland. During its first year of touring in 2019, the show delivered 62 performances to over 2,200 audience members in schools and nurseries, as well as in theatre venues such as Dundee Rep and the Edinburgh Festival Theatre plus dates as part of the Puppet Animation Festival 2019.
“Absolutely fantastic, informative and visually inspiring.” Langa Street Nursery
“It was gentle and made the children think about birds in a deeper way.” Nithsdale Road Nursery
“What a joyful piece of children’s theatre, all the children were completely captivated, me too! 5 stars!” Louise, Audience Member, Dundee Rep
Watch the show trailer
The Whirlybird 2020 Tour Dates
- 29th January – 30th April – 32 date Glasgow & Aberdeen schools and nurseries tour, plus dates in East Lothian & Dumfries and Galloway schools
- Monday 17th February – Eccleston Library, St Helens, Merseyside – 1pm
- Saturday 22nd February – The Brunton, Musselburgh – 2pm
- Thursday 19th March – Cumnock Town Hall – 10.30am & 1pm
- Saturday 21st March – Rouken Glen Visitors Centre – 1pm
- Saturday 28th March – Macrobert, Stirling – 2pm
- Sunday 29th March – The Byre, St Andrews – 12pm & 2.30pm
- Wednesday 1st April – Greenock Library (bookings through Beacon Arts Centre) – 11am
- Sunday 5th April – Eden Court, Inverness – 2pm
- Monday 6th April – Village Storytelling Centre (private performance)
- Wednesday 15th April – Edinburgh Science Festival – 11am (relaxed) & 2pm
- Sunday 19th April – The Boo, Waterfoot, Lancashire – 3pm
The production may extend touring beyond May 2020. To discuss booking the show, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Eco Drama’s 2020 tour of The Whirlybird is gratefully supported by the following funders:
Esmee Fairbairn Foundation, Garfield Weston Foundation, Foyle Foundation, William Syson Foundation, Glasgow Council Area Partnership Fund, Trades House Commonweal Fund, Aberdeen Creative Fund, Aberdeen Endowment Trust, Unity Theatre Trust and Scotmid Community Grant.