In a cosy nest, two birds look skyward and get ready for their maiden flight. While flying comes easy for Bird, Whirlybird just can’t get the hang of it. After many failed attempts, inspiration is found in a very special flying seed…
A curious creature, ricketie-racketie on ground but in flight, a wildlife spectacle – a blizzard of wings, perfect elliptical twirls, a mass of orange and browns and a cacophony of sound!
The Whirlybird is a funny, playful and moving piece of theatre about learning to fly, encouraging one another and finding joy and inspiration in nature.
With a beautiful music score by award-winning composer Greg Sinclair and set and costume by Claire Halleran, The Whirlybird draws inspiration from the natural world to celebrate diversity and uniqueness and the wonder of flight.
The production was developed in collaboration with Platform Arts Centre and children at Buchlyvie Nursery in Glasgow, with support from Creative Scotland.
The Whirlybird is currently on its maiden tour during March – May 2019 in nurseries, schools, theatres, community venues and festivals across Scotland, including dates at the Puppet Animation Festival 2019.
For bookings, please contact email@example.com. There are still dates left in our March – May 2019 tour, and we are also taking bookings for tours throughout summer and autumn 2019 and spring 2020.
“…manages to keep its audience of tinies enthralled simply through some excellent storytelling…a sweet little piece which will give younger children a gentle introduction to ecology but, more importantly, keep them engaged and amused for the whole 60 minutes.”
2019 Tour Dates – further dates to be added
The Whirlybird will be presented at the Puppet Animation Festival 2019 during 30th March – 20th April, and is touring across nurseries, schools, theatre and venues throughout 2019 and 2020. Festival dates marked with * below.
- Tuesday 5th March – Bellrock Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Wednesday 6th March – Sandaig Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Thursday 7th March – Sandyford Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Monday 11th March – Maryhill Park Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Tuesday 12th March – Elmvale Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Wednesday 13th March – Our Lady of the Rosary Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Thursday 14th March – St Mungo’s Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Monday 18th March – Lourdes Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Tuesday 19th March – Nithsdale Road Nursery, Glasgow (private performance)
- Wednesday 20th March – Lochwinnoch Arts Festival – 10.30am
- Monday 25th March – East Park School (private performance)
- Thursday 28th March – Pollokshields Early Years Centre (private performance)
- Sunday 31st March – Swallow Theatre, Dumfries & Galloway – 2pm*
- Thursday 4th April – The Barn, Banchory – 2pm*
- Saturday 6th April – North Edinburgh Arts – 2pm*
- Tuesday 9th April – The Loch Centre, Tranent (venue changed from North Berwick Community Centre) – 2pm*
- Friday 12th April – The Pagoda, Grantown-On-Spey – 11am & 2pm*
- Sunday 14th April – Aberdeenshire Farming Museum – 11am & 1.30pm*
- Tuesday 16th April – Platform Auditorium, Easterhouse – 10.30am & 1.30pm
- Tuesday 23rd April – Glenwood Nursery School (private performance)
- Wednesday 24th April – Glenwood Nursery School (private performance)
- Thursday 25th April – Aultmore Park Primary School (private performance)
- Saturday 27th April – Aberdeen Performing Arts – 10.30am & 1.30pm
- Sunday 28th April – Aberdeen Performing Arts – 10.30am & 1.30pm
- Thursday 2nd May – Nuffield Nursery (private performance)
- Saturday 6th July 2019 – Eastwood Park Theatre, Family Festival – 11am & 2pm
- Sunday 7th July 2019 – Howden Park Centre – 10.30am & 1.30pm
- Friday 18th October 2019 – Dundee Rep – 11.30am & 1.30pm
- Saturday 19th October 2019 – Festival Theatre, Edinburgh – 11am & 2pm
- Thursday 26th March 2020 – Cumnock Town Hall – 10.30 & 1pm